Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Birding before sunset

Chestnut- breasted Malcoha (Phaenicophaeus curvirostris borneensis)

Blue-throated Bee-eater
Late afternoon I decided to have a walkabout at the park.  I thought the day will not be over until I pay another visit to the Licuala Hill at Zone I to check out whether the Hill Myna birds are still around.  On the way to the site my attention was directed to some movement among the branches at Zone C.  I moved quietly below the cover of trees and leaves.  I could get only a glimpse of the bird.  It was a  Chestnut -bellied Malcoha.  Today has been special because earlier in the morning I observed a solo Blue-throated Bee-eater having a rest on its favourite perch.  It kept on coming back in between hunting flights for bees.  Before the day was over the pair of Tiong or Hill Myna turned up to claim their nest.  It has been an interesting day and to wind it up, a beautiful sunset.

A pair of Hill Myna calling it home at the park
A female Hill Myna peeping out from its nest, a hole in the tall dead tree.

The two Tiongs (Hill Myna) seen from a distance
Location: Zone I, Kambatik Park, Bintulu.

View of Bintulu sunset from highest point at Zone I

No comments:

Post a Comment