Saturday, August 23, 2014

Birding at break of dawn

At break of dawn the Hill Myna delivered loud and sharp whistling calls
Location : Zone I
Kambatik Park, Bintulu.

Hill Myna with grass
 At the break of dawn I started walking towards the tall dead tree to watch the Tiong Mas or Hill Myna bird.  From afar I could already hear their whistling calls which helped boost my steps as I began to climb the steep slopes to reach at their favourite tree.  Both were there.  However today was slightly special in that the female bird was seen many times peeping out of the nest with a long blade of grass.  My best guess is that she could have used it to make her nest comfortable.  The pair later flew to nearby trees and moved about the branches and leaves while broadcasting their noisy calls over the neighbourhood.  After they disappeared into the surrounding jungle,  I moved to another location some 200 meters away to observe the pigeons at their favourite perch, a Cempedak tree at Zone F. There I met a female Little Green Pigeon or Punai Daun ( Malay).  It must have been a juvenile one since it seemed curious at me and had no urgency to fly away.  I guess she must have born here and make the park their home.

A Hill Myna partly hidden among the branches and leaves of a jungle tree.

A juvenile Little Green Pigeon

Little Green Pigeon (Treron olax) on the Cempedak perch
Location : Zone F

No comments:

Post a Comment