Friday, October 10, 2014

The camera-shy Malcoha

Chestnut-breasted Malcoha (Phaenicophaeus curvirostris borneensis)
Bluish-green body and tail
 I was going to checkout for anything interesting at the Provinsi Liana early this morning.  When closing in to the area I saw some movement among the branches of the oil palm fronds next to the provinsi area.  Instantly I thought it mus be the squirrel.  So I slowly advanced towards it and before I arrived at the location  I saw an object flying off to the tall trees .  I kept on watching at a dark object among the leaves when suddenly I saw a large bluish body and tail about 20 meters away.  I waited for it to reveal itself from among the  maze of leaves.  My patience was rewarded when a full picture of it appeared above me.  It was the Chesnut-breasted Malcoha, a female of the species.  The female has a bright orange iris, its bill a pale green.  Malcoha are camera-shy, preferring to stay quiet and hidden. Thus far, I notice that malcohas are occasional visitors to the park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment