Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Capturing the Little Spiderhunter

Little Spiderhunter (Arachnothera longirostra)

 I have been on the hunt for the Little Spiderhunter for a period of a week from 22 - 31 August'16.  It is a very cheerful and lively bird.  In order to get close to the bird I had built a small hideout close to the Yellow Ixora bush which it visited daily over the last week, (and I guess many more weeks to come).  I believe this bird is a permanent resident of the park.  Other plants that naturally attract it are the various Heliconia species, the Shrubby Dillenia, Chinese Hat plant and Red Hibiscus to mention but a few.  I noticed that the bird comes a calling at the Yellow Ixora bush on almost every hour of the day, starting as early as 7.00 am till around 5.30 pm.  Here are some better images that I have managed to capture for the week 22 - 31 August'16.
Sipping the nectar from the Yellow Ixora flowers
Zone C



At the Chinese Hat plant (Holmskioldia sanguinea)




No comments:

Post a Comment