Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Kuala Baram Wetlands - Black-winged Stilt

Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus)
Black-winged Stilt feeding
Black-winged Kite in flight


On a short trip to Miri (28.2.18) I went to the Kuala Baram wetlands to find out what the place has to offer.  There were ponds and swampy areas just by the roadside where we parked our car.  The wetlands is situated between the coastal road and the continuous shore line. Towards one end of the road were a few kampungs and on the opposite end were seen destructive activities such as clearing and bull-dozing works and prawn farming ponds.

Since time was limited, I just waited by the roadside or a few meters away from the road shoulder.  I was quite disappointed by the facilities there. There’s tons of work to be done to make the place favourable for birders which is for the authorities to think about and do.

Anyway, there were plenty of Blue-throated Bee-eaters coming as low as the road shoulders hunting for prey. Sounds of kingfishers , Brahminy kites and Wood swallows were loud and clear.  Two birds made my day during the very brief visit, which was about two hours.   Firstly, I managed to come quite close to the Black-winged Kite with a wonderful picture of it in flight.  Secondly, I was able to add a new sighting to this blog – Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus) which was a lifer for me.

I guess I will come back again to this place in near future not only to see the birds but also to the destruction of the habitat due to man’s greed and inconsideration.





No comments:

Post a Comment